Trout Creek Community-based Watershed Project
• Trout Creek Watershed Map
• Trout Creek Watershed Report Card
• Technical Advisory Committee
• Open House/ Public Meeting notes (December 2008)
• Trout Creek Watershed Action Group (WAG)
• Draft Technical Background Summary
• Trout Creek Watershed Action Plan
The Trout Creek Collaborative has received a grant from the Ontario Trillium Foundation to implement a community-based watershed strategy for the Trout Creek watershed. The Collaborative includes the Town of St. Marys, the Rotary Club of St. Marys, the Township of Zorra, and the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority.
The community-based watershed strategy process involves the residents of the Trout Creek watershed in:
• prioritizing environmental concerns,
• identifying activities to address the environmental concerns, and
• building local frameworks for ongoing implementation of the activities.
The process brings together technical and cultural objectives to create consensus around action plans. The underlying belief behind the approach is that involving community members will result in the creation of the very best strategy – one that will be implemented over the long-term.
Trout Creek Watershed Action Group (WAG)
The Trout Creek WAG will oversee the development of the strategy from a community standpoint. This group will represent the broader community and liaise between the technical team and other members of the community. The Committee members will be recruited though presentations made to local community groups and municipal councils, through media releases and a website. The WAG will meet regularly to identify potential restoration activities and sites and prepare funding applications. It will also oversee the implementation of the plan including the community liaison role and ongoing evaluation.